Saturday, April 18, 2009

Single Jewish Female

No I'm not here to assume your identity - although if you've got a good life, I might be game. It's been a while since I've written anything, and not for lack of things to write, but for work completely taking over my existence. Now that work is slightly at bay- after an amazing experience in New Orleans and a relaxing vacation in Israel...the time has come to start the writing once more. Although discussing the past has gotten a little old... so here are thoughts on my current existence.

When I first moved to Allentown in July, there was a line of Jewish moms with bios and head-shots of their sons, nephews, cousins, next door neighbors, friend's sons etc, waiting outside my office door. Word spread so quickly of the new single Jewish girl in town that I had more yentes banging down my door than men. sad but true.

The ladies let up for a bit during the winter months - their inherent vulnerability meter must have been frozen. But now that spring has sprung, they're back again in full force. They're breaking out the army veterans and the lovable younger brothers - one who just happens to be the last 25 year old standing on Wall Street... Really how can any self respecting woman - Jewish or not - say no to any of those? You should have heard my mother when she heard I turned down the 25 year old attorney.

Who's to say what will happen with this latest slew of semi-eligible bachelors. But I do know that Jewish mothers just can't deal with Single Jewish Females. Not just my mother - or mothers of other SJFs for that matter - but all Jewish moms seem to think that we are obviously missing the most important part of us, a man. And they generously, passive aggressively and enthusiastically, take it upon themselves to rectify this.

What's a girl to do? It's nearly impossible to say no, mostly because they won't let you. Each one of them has just the right man for you: what if the one time you say no was the time you should have said yes? Or maybe it stems back to that good old Jewish guilt. Whatever the reason - SJFs are like deer in headlights when it comes to standing up to the yentes. When it comes to Jewish dating - who's the match- the Mom or the Man?

No comments:

Post a Comment