Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lesson 1: Tattoos are forever

I decided at 16 that I would get a tattoo of the Taurus symbol. It would represent my strength and determination. Mostly, I thought it would show that I was much cooler than everyone thought…and a little bit of a badass. I never got that tattoo.


In fact, when we first started college, tattoo shops were illegal in New Brunswick. One day – there it was – just across from our tanning salon. I forget the name of it now. We decided to get tattoos because the guys at the shop were hot. What a lame reason to get ink injected into your skin.


And we drew out the process as long as possible. We must have gone in 4 or 5 times before we actually did it. I remember we had decided to go on a Sunday...but Karolena woke me up Saturday morning and said..."if we won't do it now, we won't do it ever" she was right. One of us backed out at the last minute, she got her belly button pierced instead. We had a whole plan...we went to the tanning place across the street first - because you can't tan when you have a new tattoo. I can see myself flipping through the wall long portfolios of tattoos - like at a poster store. I saw the Chinese symbol for destiny and for whatever reason, with my 18 year old logic and belief in the supernatural forces of the world I thought that this was the best thing to have permanently placed on my body.


It wasn't as bad as the anticipation or the noise of the motor would have you believe. In fact - most people get addicted to tattoos. I wanted a second one but my sister talked me out of it.

The point is, at 18 we think we know what's best for ourselves, what we want for ourselves. But we have no idea. I don't reget my tattoo. Actually - its much more the opposite. It's a constant reminder that I'm alive. I was meant to make it through the ridiculousness that was my life/our life during that time when we lived for the Why not? moments.


Sometimes when I see my tattoo, I think back and can't believe that I lived those memories. It had to have been a lifetime movie.


But it wasn't. And I'm still here, living the life that maybe my 18 year old self subconciously knew was coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment